What is it?
Prevent forms one part of the Governments Counter Terrorism Strategy – CONTEST. This aims to
- Protect: Strengthen our protection against terrorist attack.
- Prepare: Mitigate the impact of an attack.
- Pursue: Stop terrorist attack.
- Prevent: Stop people from becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism by:-
- responding to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it,
- preventing people from being drawn into terrorism and ensuring that they are given appropriate advice and support,
- working with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to address
What does this mean for Statutory Organisations in Lewisham?
Since 2015, statutory agencies have a duty under the Counter Terrorism & Security Act “to have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism”. These agencies should:
- Establish strategic and operational links with other specified authorities.
- Facilitate the assessment of risk for specified authorities, including providing advice and sharing threat assessments based on the Counter Terrorism Local Profiles (CTLP).
- Provide a range of training products (including but not limited to Workshops to Raise Awareness of Prevent - WRAP) to all specified authorities.
- Understand the full range of bodies affected by the new duties, and ensure they understand their responsibilities.
- Embed Prevent into commissioning, procurement and grant funding processes.
- Embed Prevent into Safeguarding Policies and ensure all providers are signed up to local Safeguarding arrangements.
There an obvious difference between espousing radical and extreme views and acting on them, and practitioners should ensure that assessments place behaviour in the family and social context of the young person and include information about the young person’s peer group and conduct and behaviour at school. Holding radical or extreme views is not illegal, but inciting a person to commit an act in the name of any belief is in itself an offence.
Compliance in Lewisham
In Lewisham, work has been taking place to ensure that all relevant agencies are complying with their obligations under the 2015 Counter Terrorism & Security Act. This includes delivering briefings, training, and the development of a Risk Assessment Tool for Children’s Social Care.
Prevent in Lewisham operates a Strategic Board – the Prevent Delivery Group – and a Multi-Agency Safeguarding Panel – Channel.
- If you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related, trust your instincts and call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.
- If you are aware of any concerns from the community contact email@example.com (Community Co-ordinator)
- If you think you have seen a person acting suspiciously, or if you see a vehicle, unattended package or bag which might be an immediate threat, move away and call 999.
- If you are involved in an incident follow police advice to: ‘RUN, HIDE AND TELL’
- Download the citizenAID App which provides safety and medical advice from Google Play, Apple App or the Windows store, for free.
Lewisham Prevent Service
LBL Prevent are available to assist agencies in complying with their Counter Terrorism Act duties. The support offer includes:
- The provision of Workshops to Raise Awareness of Prevent (WRAP training for frontline staff),
- Management briefings regarding Prevent Duty compliance,
- Coordination of strategic and operational groups,
- The provision of Prevent-related resources and dissemination of relevant information.
If you have any questions regarding Prevent in Lewisham you can contact the Prevent Manager by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make a Referral
Judges have issued Care or Wardship Proceedings where there are allegations of children being taken abroad to strongholds of so called ISIS. If you are worried about a child or a young person you should follow child protection procedures without delay.
If a child is in immediate risk call 999, otherwise contact the MASH Team by telephone and follow up your referral in writing within 24 hours.
MASH Team Telephone: 020 8314 6660 Email email@example.com
Lewisham Prevent Team firstname.lastname@example.org
Lunchtime Briefing or in-depth Half Day Course
LSCB Me-Learning Introduction to Prevent
Home Office Introduction to Prevent
Channel General Awareness
If your department would like bespoke training please contact email@example.com