Young Carers in Lewisham
A young carer is a young person aged 18 or under who looks after a mum, dad, brother, sister or other relative who is disabled, ill, has mental ill health or a problem with drugs or alcohol. Most young carers look after one of their parents or care for a brother or sister.
If you are a young carer there is support available for you. The service includes:-
Carers Lewisham Young Carers Service supports children and young people aged 5-18. It particularly aims to:
- Improve life skills and learning
- Improve self-esteem, confidence and resilience
- Help reduce inappropriate care
Young Carers can benefit from:
- Access to holiday activities including trips, a summer residential and events
- Signposting and referrals to other statutory services
- Access to information and advice relating to their caring role, right and entitlements, and support services
- Term-time respite activities
- Schools support to improve early identification, assessment and support to young carers in education through awareness-raising to teachers and pupils, offering 1:1 support, advocacy and signposting.
Have a look at the Young Carers Website
Regular Young Carers Clubs
- 3rd Saturday of every month, 11am-4pm, Ringway Community Centre, 268 Baring Road, Grove Park, SE12 0DS : 11-16 years old.
- 2nd Saturday of every month, 12-2pm, Telegraph Hill Centre, Kitto Road, London, SE14 5TY: 8-11 years old.
- 1st Saturday of every month, 12-3.30pm, Cherry Blossom Children’s Centre, 118 Old Bromley Road, BR1 4JY: 8-11 years old.
At these clubs, young carers can access; 1:1 support, play games consoles such as Wii & XBOX, access the internet, sporting activities, arts and crafts and much more. Refreshments and snacks are available at all the clubs free of charge.
Pick-ups and drop-offs are available for young carers aged 11 years old and under.
Tel: 020 8699 8686
or e-mail: email@example.com
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm