Allegations and Whistle Blowing
All organisations working with children should be responsive to concerns raised by staff about another person’s practice or behaviour. It is important that all professionals have the confidence to come forward to speak or act if they are unhappy with anything and that they will be supported by the organisation to do this.
Whistleblowing occurs when a person raises a concern about dangerous, illegal activity or any wrong doing within their organisation, e.g.
- potentially vital information about health and safety risks
- possible fraud
- harm of children or vulnerable adults
- concern worried about someone’s behaviour
It is essential these issues are addressed immediately, so, ‘blowing the whistle’ as early as possible is important in order to prevent further harm being done.
What should professionals do?
- Each agency should have their own policy on whistleblowing that you can refer to
- Every situation is different so it is advisable to seek advice before blowing the whistle, from someone independent to your allegation
If the matter involves an allegation against a member of staff or volunteer it should be reported to the manager immediately. If the allegation meets the criteria below the manager should download and complete a referral form and send to the LADO (Local Authority Designated Officer) within 24 hours of becoming aware.
This framework for managing allegations should be used in respect of all cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:
- behaved in a way that has harmed a child, or may have harmed a child;
- possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child; or
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates s/he would pose a risk of harm if they work regularly or closely with children
To make a referral to the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO), please email a LADO Referral Form to LewishamLADO@Lewisham.gov.uk.
Current LADO Contact Details:
Finola Owens, London Borough of Lewisham, 1st Floor Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, SE6 4RU
Office Tel: 020 8314 3114
Quality Assurance Duty Desk: 020 8314 9177
Quality Assurance Team Manager: 020 8314 7280