Target Group: Professionals who work directly with children and families in the borough of Lewisham
Trainer: Neriman Adiyaman & Selma Bayou of IKWRO
Time: 9:30am to 12:30pm
Dates: Tuesday 5th October 2021
Wednesday 26th January 2022
Delegates: Unlimited places
Our training focuses on Harmful Practices ( Honour Based Violence, Forced Marriage, Female Genital Mutilation, Breast ironing, witchcraft) within this, we will cover the definition of the harmful practices, why they happen, case studies, we will show some films, legislation to support our cases, best practice, support services and organisations available.
We aim that all professionals will leave with a good working knowledge of these harmful practices and how to safely respond to cases. We will do this by covering the definitions and the different forms of violence within this, we will be looking at case studies, statistics, the barriers to seeking protection, legislation, best practice and effective referral.
- Have a deep understanding of “honour” based violence and forced marriage, FGM, Witchcraft, Breast ironing.
- Have confidence in identifying/recognising the risk factors that can make women and girls vulnerable to harmful practices.
- Have confidence in identifying the signs that a woman or girls is at risk of, or experiencing, harmful practices.
- Have an understanding in the key ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ in relation to intervention.
- Awareness of relevant legislation around harmful practices.
- Have a good knowledge of the role of various specialist organisations that can support women and girls.
The topics covered are:
- What is a healthy or unhealthy relationship?
- Personal Boundaries
- Domestic abuse and its implications on children
- Types of Abuse
- Early warning signs
- Barriers to leaving
- Support available
- Self care
- Self confidence