Intra-familial Child Sexual Abuse
Target Group:. Designated Safeguarding Leads, equivalent, or above level of experience and knowledge.
Time of Session: 9:30am - 4:30pm
Dates: Thursday 4th November 2021
Thursday 27th January 2022
Aims and Objectives:
Working with child sexual abuse can be complex for professionals - it takes place in a world of secrecy and in practice, we are often working with suspicion. It can be hard to know how to help and support children who may be and are being sexually abused and professionals need to help with detection and how to work with disclosures. The material used on this course will support this complexity, provide help with working with children and young people, and the non-abusing care giver. Practice experience is shared to understand the recovery / repair process from abuse and how to help non-abusing carers move from denial to belief and protection.
- To develop an up-to-date knowledge base on sexual abuse, based on studies, research and effective practice, drawing on recent messages from the Children's Commissioners Report 2015.
- To build professionals professional confidence in detecting and responding to child sex abuse.
- To consider how perpetrators operate and how abuse occurs.
- To understand the non-abusing carers response to the abuse and how to effectively work with the NAC to believe, support, and protect.
- To understand why children and young people have difficulty disclosing the abuse and the impact of sexual abuse on children and young people.
- To think about and plan how to intervene and assess children who have, or may have, been sexually abused.
To View & Book please follow this link: https://www.safeguardinglewisham.org.uk/events/event/intra-familial-child-sexual-abuse
View & Book